To get a little theoretical...

Designing an online learning module is not just about putting together a bunch of resources and activities for students to work on; it's about using appropriate theories, models, concepts and strategies to guide instructional design to develop an effective online learning experience.  There are three main theories/concepts that we have examined in this course: Community of Inquiry (CoI) (Garrison, Anderson, & Archer, 2000), transactional distance theory (Moore, 1989, 1991), and cognitive load (Guyan, 2013; Pappas, 2014).  As I designed my online chemical nomenclature module, I frequently examined my storyboard in the lens of these three fundamental theories.

Community of Inquiry (CoI)

The CoI theoretical framework describes three key presences (social, cognitive, and teaching) that should be present in order for students to have the best possible learning experience (Garrison et al., 2000).  There are many ways that I tried to establish all three presences within my online teaching module.  Here are just some examples of how I have done so:

  • I created a positive and welcoming learning environment by creating and posting an instructor welcome video so that my students can get to know me.
  • I began to create a social community amongst my learners by including an introductory activity where students create an Android version of themselves and post it to a shared Google slides.
  • I made sure that the course expectations and learning objectives were clear by including them in the introductory material as well as at the beginning of each module.
  • I helped students self-assess their progress in the module by including a checklist at the end of each module.
  • I used and moderated a variety of different collaborative tools such as Padlet, Canvas discussion forums, and Google slides to further build social presence in my online classroom.
  • I included all due dates and ensured that my module was well organized.  I also embedded various resources into Canvas itself (for example, Quizizz) to minimize distractions for my students.
  • I ensured that there were plenty of opportunities for peer, self, and teacher formative feedback throughout the module.

Transactional Distance Theory (TDT)

Transactional Distance Theory (TDT) examines the physical and perceived "distances" between learners and their peers, learners and the content, and learners and their teachers (Moore, 1989, 1991).  In an online course, such as the one that I am currently developing, it is impossible to reduce physical distances; however, perceived distances can be reduced by using relevant technologies.  This theory is closely connected with the CoI framework.  If a strong CoI is established within a course, then perceived distances will be minimized.  Using a variety of tools for collaboration within my online module, such as Padlet, Canvas discussion forums, and Google slides, helps to create a social community where students will feel connected to both their peers and the teacher.  Also, quick and timely feedback helps to create connections between peers and the teacher.

Cognitive Load Theory

There are three types of cognitive load (intrinsic, extraneous, and germane) that should be balanced in instructional design to increase learner engagement and success (Guyan, 2013).  Intrinsic refers to the level of complexity of the material that is being studied.  Extraneous refers to the load that is put on mental processing by non-relevant elements, such as decorative pictures.  Finally, germane refers to the elements that assist with the processing of information.  

Cognitive load, especially in a subject such as chemistry, is essential to consider in instructional design.  There is not a lot that can be done to minimize intrinsic load; unfortunately, it tends to be quite high in subject matter such as this.  However, I can affect the extraneous and germane loads to try to provide some balance here.  I have done this in my design by ensuring that only relevant information is provided on each page, and I have included various extra resources to enable appropriate information processing.  

References


Garrison, D. R., Anderson, T., & Archer, W. (2000). Critical inquiry in a text-based environment: Computer conferencing in higher education model. The Internet and Higher Education, 2(2-3), 87-105. Available from: http://cde.athabascau.ca/coi_site/documents/Garrison_Anderson_Archer_Critical_Inquiry_model.pdf

Guyan, M. (2013, November 1). 5 ways to reduce cognitive load in eLearning. [Web log post]. eLearning Industry. Available from https://elearningindustry.com/5-ways-to-reduce-cognitive-load-in-elearning

Moore, M. (1989). Editorial: Three types of interaction. The American Journal of Distance Education, 3(2), 1-7. Available from http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/08923648909526659

Moore, M. (1991). Editorial: Distance education theory. The American Journal of Distance Education, 5(3), 1-6. Available from http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/08923649109526758

Pappas. C. (2014, February 5). Cognitive load theory and instructional design. [Web log post]. eLearning Industry. Available from https://elearningindustry.com/cognitive-load-theory-and-instructional-design

Comments